Monday, August 1, 2011

Winnie Viedt used to say . . .


the older you get the faster time goes.  She was in her late 50s and I was probably 7 or 8 when she shared her wisdom with me.  Little did I know then that these words would come to me almost every day as I got older.    But now that times seems to fly by at a crazy pace, I remember those words and my grandmother, Winnie Viedt.  I never called her grandmother or grandmom.  Actually I guess I must have once and it was then that she told me that she was too young to be a grandmother and that I should call her by her name.  So I asked her what her was.  And the rest is history as they say.   She was known in the family for other words of wisdom, but they do not warrant repeating.  She had a rather sharp tongue!  But she was very good to me and made THE BEST peanut butter fudge.  I can still taste it and can close my eyes and imagine myself in the kitchen.
Grandmother, Winifred, standing, Great Aunt Miriam on Pony, 1923

Grandfather and Grandmother, on left, 1935
As July has flown by, as my Grandmother told me it would, I realize you may be wondering how Darla is since her surgery in early July.  She is doing well.  For about 2 weeks after the surgery she was using only 3 legs and she was doing quite well at that.  After about 2 weeks she started to use the leg again but the vet has said she should be on a leash at all times.  She does have freedom in the house when we are home, usually unless she starts running around too much and then she goes in her crate.  I feel like a mean mom but I don't want her to hurt her leg. She does well if she is just walking but as soon as she gets excited and runs or jumps a little while later the leg is up and she will not put weight on it.  So, it's tough love!   When we are not home she is in her crate for safe keeping!   I have no idea what goes on while we are not home.  Best that I don't know! We go for a walk every morning.  The vet (we love Dr. Smith, thank you!) said we need to build up the muscles in the leg.   Early September she can be off the leash and run in the yard.   That will be 8 weeks on the leash.  She will need lots of walks to get her leg strong so she does not hurt herself when she goes tearing around the yard when she finally has her freedom!

While Darla has been on leash and being a good girl, Buddy has been outside, unsupervised, which is what we usually do.  But alone, he gets in to trouble.  We discovered last week that he's eating the green and red cherry tomatoes off the plants on  the deck.  And I was puzzled why there were none getting ripe!    Oh that boy!

I am loving these summer days.   Hope you are too.  We have not gone on vacation yet, coming up on a month or so.   I refuse to wish away days until vacation.  I'm enjoying every one!

Take Care,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time from your day to stop by! It's always nice to hear from readers. I read all comments and do try to respond.
Blessings,
Colleen