Monday, August 22, 2011

A Day on the Farm

My staycation of a few weeks ago seems but a distant memory.  Towards the end of the week I spent a day on the Howell Living History farm with my friend Lois.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.  The air was crystal clear, the sky was a beautiful shade of blue, the clouds were puffy, big and white and perfectly placed in the sky and the warmth of the sun was shining on us . . . there was no humidity. We had all day to spend on the farm to paint, draw, take pictures and just relax



We walked the long lane to the farm, taking in all the beauty around us.
 


We stopped to visit Buttercup. Her name is really Daisy, but we liked Buttercup better.


Then we went to the hen house where this guy was in charge!
 



And finally we headed to what drew us there, the sheep.  Almost all were gathered under a tree, by the fence.
 


Most were resting.  We  tried to be quiet.  
 


Some were taking their rest seriously. 
She found the perfect head rest and was REALLY comfortable
 

Lois choice the lamb with the choice sleeping head rest to draw 
and claimed her spot at the fence.

While Lois drew, I walked around and took some pictures. 
These two handsome guys caught my eye! They are Barney and Prince.


Here they are helping teach someone how to drive a team of horses with a plow.


And here they are again.  They were quite handsome together. 


And waiting patiently in the wings for their turn are these two guys.  
I'm not sure of their names.


And back to the sheep to see what's happening . . . still resting.
 


 But . . . someone was watching me!
 

I was fascinated by their fleece.  It's just so beautiful!  


And this is what Lois was doing while I was taking pictures - she drew sleeping beauty!


And these two were on her left while she was drawing, watching or maybe sleeping. Since I can only see there noses, it's hard to say what they are doing!


This little one was however sleeping and his position just made me laugh.


It was time to change locations so we found a small bench and moved it to the side of  the blacksmith shed, shown here and both painted for a while.  
 

 
 This was the view from the other side of the blacksmith shed.  


And after a beautiful day on the farm in the company of a good friend,  we headed out.  We will  return again soon.
 









3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to be. You take great photos of the animals. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure this isn't Heaven?
    I LOVE this! It's not only that you have a great artistic eye, but your methods...are they paintings?...are they photos? Whatever, I adore the effect.
    Barney and Prince are beautiful, and you captured them perfectly; the colors (and lack thereof) suit them.
    And I also liked the sheep's wool. Kinda reminds me of my Jude's hair before I took him to the groomer.
    You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you just made sigh with the peaceful beauty of that place and your words. Totally lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time from your day to stop by! It's always nice to hear from readers. I read all comments and do try to respond.
Blessings,
Colleen